Senior HR Business Partner - 3mth FTC (London)
This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
|Location||124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1|
|Hours||37 per week|
|Closing Date||27 May 2020 at Midnight|
Job Title: Senior HR Business Partner (Generalist Team)
Reports to: Chief People Officer
Department: Human Resources
Contract: 3 month fixed term contract working full time, with possibility to be extended beyond 3 months on a part time basis.
Looking after the people who work here, making sure they are properly supported and rewarded and their potential is realised. We can only ever be as good as our people and HR makes
sure we attract and retain the very best. The HR function supports our three core business areas: Creative, Commercial and Operations. Each of these is supported by the HR Generalist
team, made up of Senior HR Business Partners, HR Business Partners, HR Advisors and HR Assistants, working in conjunction with the HR Operations team, including specialists in Reward,
Learning & Development, Talent Acquisition and People Systems.
As a team, we help the business to improve and evolve and ensure that our people are supported, developed and engaged as they deliver on Channel 4’s remit.
To jointly lead the professional, positive and effective Generalist sub-team whilst building close, trust-based relationships with the Executive, senior HR specialists and other senior
leaders (across targeted business areas), supporting, developing and influencing them on all People matters and strategy. This is a varied and senior role within the team: as well as
setting the HR brand and adapting the People strategy across your business areas, you will help the business to deliver its wider strategy and lead on a wide variety of strategic People
matters and projects (e.g. in-sourcing and outsourcing, management /leadership capability, team restructures, cultural projects, employee engagement and business transformation), as well
as leading and being responsible for a team of HR Generalists and all day to day generalist People matters.
You will need to have significant experience of working in a senior and varied generalist role within a complex organisation, with a particular depth of knowledge and credibility in
employee relations, employment law, cultural leadership and supporting business change. You will need to enjoy building professional relationships at all levels, behaving as a senior
leader and role model and proactively working to support the Channel as it evolves in line with its wider strategy and its remit, overcoming related business challenges.
This is a great role for a highly motivated, versatile, professional and commercial generalist HR Business Partner wishing to gain new strategic exposure and senior experience in a unique
and complex organisation.
• Drive a commercial, inclusive, supportive and progressive culture by partnering closely with and supporting and influencing senior managers and Executives across specific divisions
within the business. Encourage a best practice and effective commercial approach to the management of people issues, including recruitment, retention, engagement and organisational design.
• Proactively spot and offer solutions to any People problems across the business, as well as proactively improving leadership capability and assisting senior leaders to own and
implement such changes themselves over time.
• Drive positive employee engagement and wellbeing through evaluating available data and proposing and partnering with managers and senior leaders on creative and effective initiatives.
• Partner with senior finance counterparts to plan and achieve effective and efficient team structures and to implement any restructures
• Collaborate effectively with Talent specialists and take an active role in the attraction, selection, hiring and retention of high-quality senior talent in line with current and
future business requirements, to help shape the business and encourage effective skills and succession planning.
• Take ownership for specialist, complex and/or high risk People matters, involving external advisors where appropriate (with approval from the Chief People Officer).
• Develop a People strategy for your business areas, to support the wider business and People strategy, support and deliver strategic projects and other business improvements,
helping to ensure the right strategic outcomes are delivered
• Review and propose improvements to our HR Policies and processes, working closely with other senior HR specialists (e.g. around payroll and systems), to help ensure that the
Generalist and wider HR team is working in an efficient, effective and legally compliant fashion.
• Responsibility for grievance, disciplinary and other complex ER matters (including the development of any larger scale ER projects), and seeing such processes to a robust,
commercial and fair outcome, whilst minimising any reputational damage or employee disengagement. Ensure a consistent and measured approach in compliance with C4 policies and employment
• Act as a brand champion and role model for the HR Team within the business and live and embed our values across the business.
• Supervise, develop and support the other members of the Generalist team, ensuring we are retaining and developing talent, and evolving as a team, and take ultimate responsibility
for ensuring that data within our 4People HR system is robust and that all employment checks are complete.
• Ensuring that annual and ad hoc employee processes (e.g. pay changes, promotions, reviews, objectives, leavers, surveys, contract extensions etc) are robust, thoughtful, well
implemented, legally compliant and reflective of the current and future needs of the business.
• Ensuring that all People changes and decisions achieve requisite internal approvals and are communicated effectively.
• Proactively evaluate how teams are behaving and performing to spot and address any people, process and policy changes, to help drive constant improvements and efficiencies across
• Act as a diversity and inclusion champion within the business, collaborating with internal specialists and using available data to drive related initiatives and improvements (e.g.
gender gap and Top 100) and ensure that all employee decisions are considered from a discrimination, diversity and inclusion perspective
• Ensure that the business’ values are embedded within the Generalist team’s approach and within the wider business.
• Support team workloads during busy periods of time, and ensure effective delegation and resourcing exists within the team, and the team are motivated and developing.
• Work with the Executive and senior business leaders to formulate and share effective communication and messaging across the business (alongside the internal comms team), notifying
the business (e.g. via email, training or MOSS) of any key People updates, processes or developments
• Ensure the team’s processes and policies are commercial, best practice and compliant with data protection and other legal requirements
• Seek out cost efficiencies across the HR Team and wider business.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• Proven experience as either an HR Business Partner, stand-alone HR Manager, HR Consultant or HR Director.
• Experience of working in the media/TV industry or similar creative industries.
• Great influencing skills and an excellent track record for building strong, trust-based professional relationships and credibility across all levels of an organisation.
• Ability to manage multiple stakeholders, high risk matters, a busy workload and prioritise competing demands in a calm and professional manner, inspiring trust and a sense of stability.
• Good working knowledge of HR processes and practice, as well a firm grasp of employment law and managing risks commercially.
• Extensive experience of resolving a wide range of challenging employee relations situations, large scale and small.
• Demonstrable experience of applying best practice HR across day to day people activities and processes.
• Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential issues and acts with integrity at all times.
• Demonstrates resilience in the face of obstacles and takes personal responsibility for delivery.
• Inclusive and collaborative approach, working with honesty, respect and compassion.
• Displays an approachable style to establish and maintain collaborative, trust-based relationships, and works effectively and inclusively with a range of people, keeping everyone up to date.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Action orientated and proactive; exhibits a strong desire to complete assignments and deliver results through planning and prioritisation.
• Demonstrates strong leadership, personal accountability and holds others accountable as well.
• Strong project management skills; identifies and executes steps to achieve tasks, goals, objectives and results.
• Shows persistence, creativity, resilience, adaptability and resourcefulness in the face of obstacles.
• Strong presentation skills.
• Advanced skills and experience in using Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint, as well as experience and confidence in using an HR System.
• Able to balance fast, commercial delivery alongside high quality delivery, depending on the commercial needs.
• Is comfortable with, and able to support others navigate through, ambiguity and change.
• Adapts well to changing conditions and new ways of thinking
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• SagePeople HR Systems experience
• CIPD or HR Qualification
Celebrating diversity is at the heart of Channel 4's purpose both on-screen and off-screen. Being different is therefore at our core - and we know that recruiting talent from diverse backgrounds encourages our workforce to be vibrant, creative and think differently. Our goal is also to be truly reflective of the makeup of society and we actively recruit from groups that are under-represented in the media sector. So we welcome difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We have won awards from Stonewall for our work on screen and in the workplace, we are a member of the Business Disability Forum, and we are signed up as a Disability Confident employer with the Department of Work & Pensions. Channel 4 also won the company National Diversity Award - 2016. At the end of 2016 Channel 4 was awarded the National Equality Standard by EY, the only company ever to be placed at the highest level 'Institutionlised Inclusion'.
We understand that disabled people might have concerns about being discriminated against if they declare their disability when applying for a job. If that's you then don't worry - we will judge you on your abilities and fit against the job description. We are happy to discuss with you any adjustments you need to give you a level playing field during recruitment and then, if you're made an offer, we can then discuss with you the adjustments you might need to get on with the job and develop your career. Furthermore we can offer a guaranteed interview to any disabled applicant who meets the essential skills or experience listed above.
Let us know what kind of work you're passionate about and we'll notify you when matching career opportunities become available.Sign up