Events Manager, 12mth FTC (London)
|Location||Channel 4, 124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2TX|
|Hours||37 per week|
|Closing Date||23 February 2020 at Midnight|
Job Title: Events Manager
Department: Communications & Corporate Affairs
Reports To: Group Events Manager
Status: 12 month fixed term contract
The Communications and Corporate Affairs Department is responsible for managing all of Channel 4’s corporate communications, public affairs and stakeholder
activity, policy, internal communications, content and programme PR and events. The events team support the business across a range of functions from corporate
platforms and staff events through to press launches.
To oversee and manage a variety of methods of communication with key stakeholders with a particular focus on events. The majority of the role involves day-to-day
management of key corporate events, including launches, screenings, talks & roundtables. The role also works closely with Corporate Affairs on developing and
implementing a programme of events for Parliamentarians and other Government/regulatory stakeholders. Reporting to the Group Events Manager, this is an ideal opportunity
for an enthusiastic and highly organised individual with events management experience.
• Extensive events experience:
• Experience briefing contractors and negotiating prices / and managing budgets (particularly catering, staging etc.)
• Good knowledge of venues and event suppliers
• Knowledge of Health & Safety
• In depth knowledge and understanding of managing databases – understanding of which stakeholders are important to Channel 4
• Maintaining good relationships across the channel, particularly with press and commissioning, and ensuring a good level of information flow between teams
• Strong attention to detail and ability to manage complex events simultaneously
• Interest in media and understanding of Channel 4 values.
• Interest in politics and understanding and experience of implementing events for political stakeholders is desirable
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Technical & Professional Skills (Knowledge, Understanding, Experience, Education)
• Proven experience managing a range of complex events of different sizes and audiences from conception to delivery (from high profile parties and launches to
debates and screenings)
• Proven experience working with VIPs and stakeholders at all levels.
• Proven experience in generating ideas for events that will communicate corporate messages
• Proven experience briefing and managing designers and other suppliers to execute print work and event assets
• Proven experience negotiating budgets & managing relationships with external contractors – including designers / set builders/ caterers / production managers etc.
• Understanding of screening facilities and needs of directors producers at screenings
• Understanding of political stakeholders
• Ability to make judgements about structure of events / decide on last minute changes and advise senior C4 people about how best to use events or other
communications tools to communicate key messages
Managing Resources (People, Budgets, Systems, Projects)
• Skilled at project management
• Knowledge & understanding of pricing structures / appropriate budgets to set for events
• Ability to manage teams of external contractors and freelancers
• In depth understanding of database systems and management of lists (use of Excel and other software)
Relationship Management (internal, External, 3rd parties)
• Ability to build and develop relationships – maintaining good relationships across the channel
• Proven experience of managing teams of people – knowing when to be firm and make unpopular decisions when necessary but still maintain a positive and
professional relationship with suppliers / key external people
• A critical skill is to be able to make last minute changes / split second decisions which ensure execution of the event ‘thinking on your feet’
• Strong attention to detail
Business Impact/Strategic Perspective
• Understanding of key stakeholders / key messages to be conveyed through various communications tools (including events)
Please apply online
Apply for this job
Celebrating diversity is at the heart of Channel 4's purpose both on-screen and off-screen. Being different is therefore at our core - and we know that recruiting talent from diverse backgrounds encourages our workforce to be vibrant, creative and think differently. Our goal is also to be truly reflective of the makeup of society and we actively recruit from groups that are under-represented in the media sector. So we welcome difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We have won awards from Stonewall for our work on screen and in the workplace, we are a member of the Business Disability Forum, and we are signed up as a Disability Confident employer with the Department of Work & Pensions. Channel 4 also won the company National Diversity Award - 2016. At the end of 2016 Channel 4 was awarded the National Equality Standard by EY, the only company ever to be placed at the highest level 'Institutionlised Inclusion'.
We understand that disabled people might have concerns about being discriminated against if they declare their disability when applying for a job. If that's you then don't worry - we will judge you on your abilities and fit against the job description. We are happy to discuss with you any adjustments you need to give you a level playing field during recruitment and then, if you're made an offer, we can then discuss with you the adjustments you might need to get on with the job and develop your career. Furthermore we can offer a guaranteed interview to any disabled applicant who meets the essential skills or experience listed above.
Let us know what kind of work you're passionate about and we'll notify you when matching career opportunities become available.Sign up