Technical Ad Systems Manager - VOD (London)
|Location||Channel 4, 124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2TX|
|Hours||37 per week|
|Closing Date||20 January 2020 at Midnight|
Job Title: Technical Ad Systems Manager - VOD
Reports to: Ad Technology Leader
Department: Sales Operations
The Sales Operations team is responsible for the creation and delivery of maximum revenue across all delivery methods of viewing across C4’s Sales portfolio.
The team is required to deliver exceptional levels of service to Sales and our customers, in addition to conceiving and executing innovative methods of
creating value through systems, working practices and new trading opportunities.
The team is responsible for the management and delivery of the ad systems and technical deployments across our Linear and VOD portfolio of products. Working
closely with IT and their team the role delivers new and optimises of existing sales products across C4 sales’ platforms.
Channel 4 became the first broadcaster in Europe to launch a catch up VOD service 10 years ago. After significant success C4Sales now requires the growth of
the product and platform offering to enable the continued expectations of our partners and customers to be fulfilled. This role is responsible for technical
ad integrations across our diverse platform set ups and the primary contact for all systems in our ad serving ecosystem.
The role will require technical on boarding of new platforms and ad formats as well as managing and implementing third party integrations for video publishers
to be traded in the PVX market place. The role requires delivery of our technical ad serving roadmap and close collaboration with our existing external suppliers,
internal stake holders and IT/Dev teams who manage the various integrations. This includes front end player deployments across our 26 platforms as well as back
integration for pushing data from C4 systems to our primary and external adservers.
The role will also be required to support and trouble shoot campaign set up issues and front end delivery and player problems – including interactive VOD ads in
complex debugging environments.
• Resolution time of technical issues
• Uptime of internal and external systems
• Creation of efficient workflow and operational efficiency gains
• Owning technical relationships with, FreeWheel, C4 dev teams, YoSpace, C4 Network ops teams
• Owning and delivering the Freewheel technology roadmap within the C4Sales and platform integrations.
• Ensure optimal use of MRM within the Campaign ops, Inventory and Yield teams, be the product champion and expert in all facets of the ad serving infrastructure.
• Optimise and drive efficiency gains through the workflow and campaign set up processes using existing and new techniques,
• Troubleshot and debug ad play out issues on any platforms.
• Define, implement and manage best practice guidelines for all C4 & our partner development and delivery teams
• Optimise transcode and ad creative workflow and manage full end to end processes for creative set up delivery within C4’s and our partners’ infrastructure.
• Managing technical contacts and platform development with C4’s broadcaster & publisher partners. Work with them to develop integrations and platform roll outs
• Isolate and define process and workflows to enable the delivery of an efficient set up, utilising C4’s operational teams to execute.
• Work with Ad Technology Leader to deliver new and innovative ad units and formats.
• Work closely with C4 Product Owners to ensure all requirements are briefed and ranked appropriately on various backlogs and programmes of work
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Technical & Professional Skills
• Detailed understanding of the technical aspects of online including ad serving/delivery, TV convergence and cross platform advertising format innovation (ie iVods)
with demonstrable skill in outlining technical set ups of industry standard approaches
• Exceptional levels of understanding in Video ad serving Industry Standards and methods of ad delivery including VAST, VPAID, Instream stitching, VOD overlays
• Strong understanding of the programmatic industry landscape and the roles of the major tech players.
• Detailed knowledge on video file formats and relevant platform support with an exceptional understanding of CDN configuration techniques and advanced transcode
and delivery methodologies
• A full appreciation for technical integrations and system set ups for the entire end to end automated ad serving and transactional DAI methodologies
• Strong understanding of working with external and internal support teams to manage solutions through various teams and levels to resolution.
• Exceptional debugging skills using http reading tools and deep knowledge of capturing and reading sessions using Charles, Fiddler & Wireshark
• Q/A ing players and ad sever integrations across multiple devices and environments
• Liaising with relevant teams to create new functionality in C4 and supplier systems and tools, from PO to engineering to ensure requirements are captured and
fully delivered in a timely fashion.
• Programmer level XML/JS/CSS/SQL(MySQL)/Python knowledge and ability to write amend documentation and support dev teams with detailed queries.
• Strong understating of APIs and industry standard system integration methodologies.
• Strong understanding of software delivery methodologies and project management techniques such as Agile and Prince 2.
• Understanding of forecasting techniques and logic
• Familiarity with data manipulation and delivery methodologies, as well as conceptual understanding of Big data techniques
• Ability to create and keep up to date documentation and best practice guides for end users and Dev teams for deployments.
• Role is autonomous and job holder would only seek input for major decisions.
• Jobholder identifies operational needs and has full autonomy to adapt enabling functions and implement process improvements.
• No direct reports but strong leading skills required to ensure external and internal teams are delivering on requirements
• Input and training for Campaign Operations team to ensure they have a common understanding of the technology and functional underpinnings of the adserving
infrastructure and set up.
• Coaching/mentoring responsibility for digital team on technical matters and implementation of training material for primary systems in use by campaign ops.
• Job holder works closely and manages technical communications with external suppliers including Freewheel, Innovid as well as being sales team lead for C4 and
partner dev teams
• Jobholder works closely Ad Technology Leader to isolate and create new adformat and technology solutions and opportunities to bring them to market
• This nascent business requires a flexible, pragmatic and above all tenacious approach to problem solving.
• Complex implementations can take up to 6 months and involve key internal stakeholders such as research, Legal, Rights, Tech, Dev etc. a strong project
understanding will be required
• Complex negotiation skills are essential in order to resolve any conflict between stakeholders whilst driving innovation and change.
Business Impact/Strategic Perspective
• Large strategic and reputation importance to Channel as C4 needs to be seen to be innovative in the digital space.
• Jobholder ensures that the play out of content is as seamless as can be with minimal technical ad issues on platform.
Apply for this job
Celebrating diversity is at the heart of Channel 4's purpose both on-screen and off-screen. Being different is therefore at our core - and we know that recruiting talent from diverse backgrounds encourages our workforce to be vibrant, creative and think differently. Our goal is also to be truly reflective of the makeup of society and we actively recruit from groups that are under-represented in the media sector. So we welcome difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We have won awards from Stonewall for our work on screen and in the workplace, we are a member of the Business Disability Forum, and we are signed up as a Disability Confident employer with the Department of Work & Pensions. Channel 4 also won the company National Diversity Award - 2016. At the end of 2016 Channel 4 was awarded the National Equality Standard by EY, the only company ever to be placed at the highest level 'Institutionlised Inclusion'.
We understand that disabled people might have concerns about being discriminated against if they declare their disability when applying for a job. If that's you then don't worry - we will judge you on your abilities and fit against the job description. We are happy to discuss with you any adjustments you need to give you a level playing field during recruitment and then, if you're made an offer, we can then discuss with you the adjustments you might need to get on with the job and develop your career. Furthermore we can offer a guaranteed interview to any disabled applicant who meets the essential skills or experience listed above.
Let us know what kind of work you're passionate about and we'll notify you when matching career opportunities become available.Sign up