Broadcast Systems Engineer (London)
|Location||Channel 4, 124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2TX|
|Hours||37 per week|
|Closing Date||04 December 2019 at Midnight|
Job Title: Broadcast Systems Engineer
Reports To: Broadcast Engineering Manager
Department: Broadcast Technology Management
The Department is responsible for the functions of IT strategy and support, Research and Development, Broadcast Technology Management and Operations.
This role is responsible for supporting the execution of the Broadcast Technology component of the BTM Programme as directed by the Chief Engineer and Broadcast Engineering
Manager. This includes delivering the Broadcast Technology Roadmap and support for operational teams.
This role will be required to work with our outsource partners, Architecture and IS Systems Delivery so as to successfully deliver the agreed programme across the working year.
This role is responsible for supporting solution definition and design, and technology selection, and well as ensuring our suppliers deliver new services on time and within
budget. This role also covers the support for Video Browse, development and support of our Disaster Recovery Services. Whilst they are not responsible for project management
or budget allocation, they will be expected to advise on costs and timescales and manage change with our outsource provider.
• Support the Broadcast Engineering Manager in evaluating new technologies, and the soliciting input and requirements from the relevant business stakeholders.
• Support the Broadcast Engineering Manager in planning and resourcing Broadcast projects.
• Engineering change with Channel 4 systems to support Video Browse replacement and BAU support of the legacy system
• Execution of BTM Broadcast projects to time and budget.
• Support and development of the Disaster Recovery services day to day.
• Support the execution of BTM Non-Broadcast projects where appropriate and required.
• Support the execution of R&D work-streams where appropriate and required.
• Support the Broadcast Engineering Manager in preparation of documentation and, where appropriate, presentations to support the change management process and to
demonstrate the progress and outcome of projects.
• Represent the BTM function in relevant external meetings with suppliers, clients and other broadcasters if and when directed by the Broadcast Engineering Manager.
• Provision of technical knowledge/support to the wider Technology Function.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Technical & Professional Skills (Knowledge, Understanding, Experience, Education)
• Must have an extensive amount of hands-on experience of development and systems design in Broadcast and Media technology and workflows, and an ability to critically
assess sound and vision quality.
• Extensive experience of Non-Broadcast workflows and technologies.
• Experience of linear broadcast distribution platform technologies.
• Must have the ability to consider multiple, individually complex engineering problems in a holistic manner when deciding a course of action (should be educated to at
least an HND or degree level in order to deal with them accordingly).
• Must have experience of and demonstrate some capabilities in supplier relationship management.
• Essential that job holder remains up to date with current technology trends, and actively seeks out novel and cutting edge developments in order to incorporate them
into the delivery programme.
• Required to maintain a working knowledge of key business tasks performed by the relevant C4 users and how they could be enhanced through the application of technological
innovation in the Broadcast Technology space.
• Ability to identify tasks that require attention, prioritise them and develop execution plans, consulting peers and seniors as appropriate.
• Ability to identify and asses multiple engineering solutions and to select the most appropriate solution based on the business’ needs (quality, speed, cost etc.)
• Ability to execute implementation plans developed by yourself or others
• Ability to document all steps taken and outcomes & learnings
Managing Resources (People, Budgets, Systems, Projects)
• Must have a high level of self-motivation and organisation, and demonstrate the ability to work to critical deadlines under pressure.
• No Direct Line Management responsibility but should demonstrate the ability to instruct suppliers and influence key internal delivery resources.
• No direct budgetary responsibility but should exercise control over the costing of work and remain focussed on fiscal prudence and value for money.
• The role includes liaising with key stakeholders in internal departments, and close collaboration with the other areas of Broadcast Technology Management.
• Must support the BTM Management Team in providing clear and timely information to the relevant IS Delivery functions in order to notify them of our expected resource
and material requirements for each work-stream.
Relationship Management (internal, External, 3rd parties)
• Must work regularly with the Broadcast Engineering team and wider Technology Departments and should also develop and maintain some key relationships both inside the
business and with 3rd parties.
• Will be required to explain technically complex issues to non-technical staff. E.g When soliciting input into the Broadcast Technology programme of work, and when
presenting the outcomes from each work stream back to the relevant stakeholders.
• Some relevant networking required within and beyond to ensure the job holder is aware of what is going on in the wider media industry to perform the role with an
appropriate degree of personal credibility.
• Must present themselves in a professional manner at all times when dealing with both internal and 3rd party stakeholders.
• Will work on complex and cutting edge projects requiring deep analytical thinking and an ability to process and manage multiple technical and business inputs at the
same time in order to devise novel solutions to a high degree of detail.
• Problems encountered are increasingly unfamiliar given the increasing level of integration between core systems such as Broadcast play out and Online distribution,
data analytics, internal and web-facing systems.
• Must be able to synthesise solutions based upon information from a wide variety of sources, and prioritise the importance of requirements from our stakeholders and
the wider industry.
Business Impact/Strategic Perspective
• Has the potential for significant impact on the operational and strategic objectives of channel.
• Has an emphasis on medium term objectives with a view to enabling long term benefits - critical success factor is to address issues in a manner which can be realistically
applied to support strategic objectives.
• Provides advice and material outcomes which assist in the formulation of business strategy to management concerning the potential future capabilities of our systems and
their ability to support new business models and products.
• Represents us on industry bodies if and when instructed and maintains our reputation for professionalism and technical excellence.
Apply for this job
Celebrating diversity is at the heart of Channel 4's purpose both on-screen and off-screen. Being different is therefore at our core - and we know that recruiting talent from diverse backgrounds encourages our workforce to be vibrant, creative and think differently. Our goal is also to be truly reflective of the makeup of society and we actively recruit from groups that are under-represented in the media sector. So we welcome difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We have won awards from Stonewall for our work on screen and in the workplace, we are a member of the Business Disability Forum, and we are signed up as a Disability Confident employer with the Department of Work & Pensions. Channel 4 also won the company National Diversity Award - 2016. At the end of 2016 Channel 4 was awarded the National Equality Standard by EY, the only company ever to be placed at the highest level 'Institutionlised Inclusion'.
We understand that disabled people might have concerns about being discriminated against if they declare their disability when applying for a job. If that's you then don't worry - we will judge you on your abilities and fit against the job description. We are happy to discuss with you any adjustments you need to give you a level playing field during recruitment and then, if you're made an offer, we can then discuss with you the adjustments you might need to get on with the job and develop your career. Furthermore we can offer a guaranteed interview to any disabled applicant who meets the essential skills or experience listed above.
Let us know what kind of work you're passionate about and we'll notify you when matching career opportunities become available.Sign up