Junior Video Editor – DCU (Leeds)
This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
|Location||National HQ - Leeds City Centre|
|Hours||37 per week|
|Closing Date||24 November 2019 at Midnight|
Job Title: Junior Video Editor
Reports To: Digital/Social Video Editor
Department: DCU (Leeds)
The newly created Digital Creative Unit (DCU) will be the engine room for C4’s digital acceleration strategy, with the primary mission to create, adapt and distribute content
across the key social media channels.
The primary activities of the DCU will be to curate (existing) and create (new) short-form content and distribute it through actively managed social media channels. The DCU
will work very closely with key people and departments within C4, including the Head of Digital Commissioning.
The DCU will be based in C4’s new National HQ in Leeds and will be a key component of C4’s regional strategy, creating creative job opportunities outside London and expanding
the diversity of the company’s creative contribution.
In order to generate the world class social media content that is needed to make Channel 4 Corporation the market leader in digital presence and innovation, we need a world
class edit team. The successful applicant will be a core part of that team.
We’re looking for an exceptional individual with enthusiasm and fresh ideas in equal measure. Working alongside a dedicated team of social media creatives, you and your team
will be responding to and fulfilling briefs from the Marketing Department’s Social Media team, as well as responding to Branded Content briefs from our Commercial team.
You’ll be suggesting proactive ideas that build awareness and affinity for Channel 4’s channels and programmes through established and emerging social media platforms.
The Junior Video Editor requires a passion and knowledge of what works across the content spectrum digitally and on all social media platforms, and experience editing digital/
social content at scale. They’ll need to deliver projects on time, and on brief, working closely with the Digital/Social Video Editor to execute projects with varying scope
This role is based in the Leeds office and the job holder will be required to liaise with the broad team on any given project including the Marketing team as well as with all
Channel 4 departments, to ensure as coherent an approach as possible.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & REQUIRED SKILLS
• You’ll serve as the beating heart of our video team, working with the Digital/Social Video Editor to edit social video and assets at volume to support our linear
• You’ll work closely with Digital Producers to edit together the most compelling, engaging and entertaining moments from an array of Channel 4 programming to create
everything from memes, to spoiler clips, compilations and beyond.
• You’ll ideally have over a year’s experience working for a digital media company, in social or digital video teams, and editing content at scale and with extremely
swift turnaround times. You may also have some experience of shooting.
• You’ll ideally also have experience creating content to meet Commercial briefs.
• Yes it’s a cliché, but you’re a ‘social native’ and you know the difference between a hit and a miss - your editing magic might even be able to turn a miss into a
hit. Maybe. You’ll know your Tik Toks from your Tumblrs, and understand behaviours of audiences online.
• We want to be seen as a cutting-edge brand. You must be abreast of developments in the world of social media and what the implications might be for us.
• You’ve got a string of social-firsts under your belt.
• Even though you’ve obviously won a load of awards, you’ll be motivated by performance rather than trophies.
• Channel 4’s remit-fulfilling programmes will make up the bulk of your viewing – everything from Gogglebox to Dispatches via Hollyoaks and Derry Girls.
• You can follow briefs very closely, but also take a loose brief and return work of an excellent standard.
• You should be familiar with the Ofcom code and broadcast regulations so that you don’t waste your time on great ideas that turn out to be illegal.
• You will need to be tonally versatile as your team will be making content for Channel 4, E4 and All 4 social accounts.
• Occasionally, you’ll need to make content for distribution by our on-screen talent, since they’re often our biggest influencers, so you’ll need the ability to remain
calm in the presence of your favourite telly person.
• At the same time as our BAU needs to be stellar, you will be required to help execute ground-breaking social media campaigns.
• Our target audience are a diverse bunch and Channel 4 exists to promote diversity. You will need to be empathetic towards this diverse bunch and be able to interact
with them in ways that feel natural to them – and most importantly, help edit packages to ensure their stories are being told as truthfully as possible.
• You will need to be curious and a voracious consumer of culture. We want to be a cutting edge, innovative and relevant brand, not a dads’ disco littered with old, dead memes.
• You will be required to manage the sometimes competing demands of key stakeholders. Cool under pressure and excellent powers of persuasion are required.
• You will need to have a good working relationship with Legal & Compliance. They are there to make sure we stay the right side of the line rather than to clip your
wings. Channel 4 was Born Risky.
• You won’t be responsible for reporting, but you should still be interested in results and be able to find out what’s done well and what hasn’t – this information
should inform your future work.
• You’ll work in our Leeds HQ as part of the DCU, and in partnership with multiple other stakeholders.
Technical & Professional Skills
• Must have some knowledge of all areas of online marketing and content creation.
• Must be socially native, with a strong understanding of what content audiences engage with online applying this knowledge to campaigns.
• Should have strong experience in editing creative projects in order to meet the creative brief.
• Important for the job holder to keep up to date with creative and digital / social media trends and have a passion for cutting edge creative and innovation.
• Must have a thorough understanding of processes, workflows, tools and methodologies.
• Should be a quick learner and curious about new technologies and solutions.
• Would ideally have an understanding of post-production processes including colour-correcting edits, exporting and delivering assets to a variety of technical specifications.
• Experience of using productivity tools such as Monday or Trello is preferred.
• Works on broad variety of matters within the content spectrum, and will sometimes be required to help deliver an online campaign with limited time, talent and budget.
• Must be highly organised – not only in delivering BAU output, but also helping with archiving, investing and organising footage.
• Must establish a close working relationship with Channel 4’s on-line / digital departments and suppliers, and be able to communicate with differing departments to meet differing demands.
• Works regularly with a mixture of people from managers, immediate team, and third party suppliers.
• Must be collaborative in their approach.
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication.
• Faces a regular mixture of routine and non-routine problems in the role.
• Should be resilient and calm under pressure.
• Must be a proactive problem solver.
Celebrating diversity is at the heart of Channel 4's purpose both on-screen and off-screen. Being different is therefore at our core - and we know that recruiting talent from diverse backgrounds encourages our workforce to be vibrant, creative and think differently. Our goal is also to be truly reflective of the makeup of society and we actively recruit from groups that are under-represented in the media sector. So we welcome difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We have won awards from Stonewall for our work on screen and in the workplace, we are a member of the Business Disability Forum, and we are signed up as a Disability Confident employer with the Department of Work & Pensions. Channel 4 also won the company National Diversity Award - 2016. At the end of 2016 Channel 4 was awarded the National Equality Standard by EY, the only company ever to be placed at the highest level 'Institutionlised Inclusion'.
We understand that disabled people might have concerns about being discriminated against if they declare their disability when applying for a job. If that's you then don't worry - we will judge you on your abilities and fit against the job description. We are happy to discuss with you any adjustments you need to give you a level playing field during recruitment and then, if you're made an offer, we can then discuss with you the adjustments you might need to get on with the job and develop your career. Furthermore we can offer a guaranteed interview to any disabled applicant who meets the essential skills or experience listed above.
Let us know what kind of work you're passionate about and we'll notify you when matching career opportunities become available.Sign up