Genre Assistant - Popular Factual (Bristol)
This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
|Location||Bristol Creative Hub|
|Hours||37 per week|
|Closing Date||16 February 2020 at Midnight|
Job Title: Genre Assistant, Popular Factual Department Description Job Purpose Key Responsibilities • PA to the Bristol Creative Hub Commissioning team incorporating Commissioning Editors, providing full administrative support including diary management, travel arrangements, arranging events, dealing with general correspondence and expenses filing Essential Experience and Skills • Proven ability to cope in a very busy environment and to perform in high-pressured situations to be able to prioritise and cope with several tasks at once Autonomy/Judgement/Decision Making Relationship Management Complexity/Problem Solving
Reports to: Commissioning Editor, Popular Factual
Department: Popular Factual
The Popular Factual department comprises of the Features & Formats and Factual Entertainment genres:
Channel 4 Factual Entertainment tells us something about the world – but crucially, in an entertaining way. Our primetime shows have scale and aim to grab viewers with their ambition, whilst engaging them with warmth and humour. The Factual Entertainment Department is responsible for a wide range of popular factual series and formats including Hunted, The Island, The Circle, 60 Days On The Streets, Gogglebox, Travel Man and Naked Attraction. We also make popular ob-documentary series and one-offs, such as £1 House and 21 Kids and Counting.
The Features and Formats Department covers an incredibly diverse range of non-scripted genres and commissions across C4, E4 and More 4. Our commissioning focus is on 8pm returnable formats for C4 like The Great British Bake Off franchise, Escape to The Chateau, Amazing Spaces, Love It or List It, Supervet, Jamie’s Quick & Easy & Food Unwrapped, as well as peaktime E4 reality such as Celebs Go Dating, Don’t Tell The Bride and Made In Chelsea. We’re keen to find more innovative formats like Flirty Dancing, noisy doc series like Mums Make Porn, and talent led formats like Joe Lycett’s Got Your Back. Crucially, our shows need to have broad appeal but speak to a younger audience. We’re keen to re-imagine traditional lifestyle and features territories for the next generation that is entertaining as well as content rich.
• To provide the highest level of cross functional administrative support to the Bristol Creative Hub Commissioning team
• Ensure visitors to the Commissioning team in the Bristol Creative Hub are handled appropriately
Technical & Professional Skills
• To have and use initiative, but also be able to respond to orders and have a willingness to do whatever is required, however mundane
• Proven ability to prioritise tasks and work effectively without supervision
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Proven ability to be part of a team, work well with others in an open-plan department and deal politely with visitors from other companies
• Possess a keen attitude and a willingness to learn
• Flexibility, patience, perseverance and commitment to get the job done
• Proven ability to work with confidential materials and issues
• Always display a helpful attitude whilst managing diaries carefully and sensitively
• The Genre Assistant is expected to manage their own workload by prioritising accordingly and reporting back on completion.
• There is some autonomy and responsibility for decisions within the key responsibilities of the Genre Assistant role.
• Builds valued and trusted relationship within Commissioning, senior members of the Commissioning team and across the business in order to handle confidential matters appropriately and effectively
• Maintains relationships with peers across all departments
• Holiday/sickness cover for other PA’s
• Job holder must operate within an ever-changing environment as well as dealing with both routine and non- routine problems.
• The issues are often sensitive so require considerate handling in order to resolve them satisfactorily
• Works efficiently under pressure.
• Business Impact/Strategic Perspective
• Direct impact and influence on the effectiveness of the department
• Objectives and tasks in the role are often short-notice and high priority.
• Privy to a large amount of confidential information.
Job Title: Genre Assistant, Popular Factual
• PA to the Bristol Creative Hub Commissioning team incorporating Commissioning Editors, providing full administrative support including diary management, travel arrangements, arranging events, dealing with general correspondence and expenses filing
Essential Experience and Skills
• Proven ability to cope in a very busy environment and to perform in high-pressured situations to be able to prioritise and cope with several tasks at once
Celebrating diversity is at the heart of Channel 4's purpose both on-screen and off-screen. Being different is therefore at our core - and we know that recruiting talent from diverse backgrounds encourages our workforce to be vibrant, creative and think differently. Our goal is also to be truly reflective of the makeup of society and we actively recruit from groups that are under-represented in the media sector. So we welcome difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We have won awards from Stonewall for our work on screen and in the workplace, we are a member of the Business Disability Forum, and we are signed up as a Disability Confident employer with the Department of Work & Pensions. Channel 4 also won the company National Diversity Award - 2016. At the end of 2016 Channel 4 was awarded the National Equality Standard by EY, the only company ever to be placed at the highest level 'Institutionlised Inclusion'.
We understand that disabled people might have concerns about being discriminated against if they declare their disability when applying for a job. If that's you then don't worry - we will judge you on your abilities and fit against the job description. We are happy to discuss with you any adjustments you need to give you a level playing field during recruitment and then, if you're made an offer, we can then discuss with you the adjustments you might need to get on with the job and develop your career. Furthermore we can offer a guaranteed interview to any disabled applicant who meets the essential skills or experience listed above.
Let us know what kind of work you're passionate about and we'll notify you when matching career opportunities become available.Sign up