Digital/Social Video Editor - DCU (Leeds)
This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
|Location||National HQ - Leeds City Centre|
|Hours||37 per week|
|Closing Date||15 March 2020 at Midnight|
Job Title: Digital/Social Video Editor
Department: Digital Creative Unit (National HQ - Leeds)
Reports To: Senior Editor
The newly created Digital Creative Unit (DCU) will be the engine room for C4’s digital acceleration strategy, with the primary mission to create, adapt and distribute
content across the key social media channels.
The primary activities of the DCU will be to curate (existing) and create (new) short-form content and distribute it through actively managed social media channels. The
DCU will work very closely with key people and departments within C4, including the Head of Digital Commissioning.
The DCU will be based in C4’s new National HQ in Leeds and will be a key component of C4’s regional strategy, creating creative job opportunities outside London and
expanding the diversity of the company’s creative contribution.
In order to generate the world class social media content that is needed to make C4 the market leader in digital presence and innovation, we need a world class edit team.
The Digital/Social Video Editor will be a core part of that team.
We’re looking for an exceptional individual with experience, enthusiasm and fresh ideas in equal measure. Working alongside a dedicated team of social media creatives, you
and your team will be responding to and fulfilling briefs from the Marketing Department’s Social Media team, as well as responding to Branded Content briefs from our Commercial
team. You’ll be suggesting proactive ideas that build awareness and affinity for C4’s channels and programmes through established and emerging social media platforms.
The Digital/Social Video Editor requires a passion and strong knowledge of what works across the content spectrum digitally and on all social media platforms, and vast experience
editing digital/social content at scale. They should be an expert in delivering projects on time, and on brief, through proactive and appropriate management of project scope and
This role is based in the new National HQ in Leeds will be required to liaise with the broader team on any given project including the Marketing team as well as with other C4
departments, to ensure as coherent an approach as possible.
• You’ll have experience of editing videos, and generating ideas that lead to millions of organic social views or engagements on a range of platforms and for a range of
clients – preferably using TV shows as a creative base to work from.
• You’ll be at home editing everything from 5-10 minute clip compilations to short-form series, memes and everything in-between.
• You’ll also have experience editing content to meet Commercial briefs and client demands, and helping teams edit fresh, unique approaches to digital and social-first
• You’ll have solid experience in the digital/social editing world, with experience of editing content at scale and with extremely swift turnaround times. You may also
have some experience of shooting.
• You’ll be intensely interested in evolving creative and technical processes and softwares, to ensure our video production is as innovative and efficient as possible.
• Yes, it’s a cliché, but you’re a ‘social native’ and you know the difference between a hit and a miss - your editing magic might even be able to turn a miss into a hit.
• You must be abreast of developments in the world of social media and what the implications might be for us.
• You’ve got a string of social-firsts under your belt.
• Even though you’ve obviously won a load of awards, you’ll be motivated by performance rather than trophies.
• Channel 4’s remit-fulfilling programmes will make up the bulk of your viewing – everything from Gogglebox to Dispatches via Hollyoaks and Derry Girls.
• You’ll be close buddies with Premiere Pro and ideally After Effects.
• You can follow briefs very closely, but also take a loose brief and return work of an excellent standard.
• You should be familiar with the Ofcom code and broadcast regulations so that you don’t waste your time on great ideas that can’t be used.
• You will need to be tonally versatile as your team will be making content for Channel 4, E4 and All 4 social accounts.
• Occasionally, you’ll need to make content for distribution by our on-screen talent, since they’re often our biggest influencers, so you’ll need the ability to remain
calm in the presence of your favourite telly person.
• At the same time as our BAU needs to be stellar, you will be required to help execute ground-breaking social media campaigns.
• Our target audience are a diverse bunch and Channel 4 exists to promote diversity. You will need to be empathetic towards this diverse bunch and be able to interact with
them in ways that feel natural to them – and most importantly, help edit packages to ensure their stories are being told as truthfully as possible.
• You will need to be curious and a voracious consumer of culture..
• You will be required to manage the, sometimes competing, demands of key stakeholders. Cool under pressure and excellent powers of persuasion are required.
• You’ll be responsible for managing Junior Video Editor(s).
• You will need to have a good working relationship with Legal & Compliance. They are there to make sure we stay the right side of the line rather than to clip your wings.
Channel 4 was Born Risky.
• You won’t be responsible for reporting, but you should still be interested in results and be able to find out what’s done well and what hasn’t – this information should
inform your future work.
• You’ll work in our Leeds HQ as part of the DCU, and in partnership with multiple other stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Technical & Professional Skills
• Must have a good knowledge of all areas of online marketing and content creation.
• Must be socially native, with a strong understanding of what content audiences engage with online applying this knowledge to campaigns.
• Should have strong experience in editing creative projects in order to meet the creative brief, gained from working within a creative and digital / social media team.
• Very important to keep up to date with creative and digital / social media trends and have a passion for cutting edge creative and innovation.
• Must have a thorough understanding of processes, workflows, tools and methodologies.
• Good learning agility and curious about new technologies and solutions – you’ll be a keen learner of the ever-evolving suite of products available.
• Must have an understanding of post-production processes including colour-correcting edits, exporting and delivering assets to a variety of technical specifications.
• Experience of using productivity tools such as Monday or Trello.
• Must be comfortable making judgement calls and problem-solving for the team as/where needed.
• Works on broad variety of matters within the content spectrum, and will sometimes be required to help deliver an online campaign with limited time, talent and budget.
• Must be highly organised – not only in delivering BAU output, but also helping with archiving, investing and organising footage.
• Management and development of Junior Digital/Social Video Editors.
• Must establish a close working relationship with Channel 4’s on-line / digital departments and suppliers, and be able to communicate with differing departments to meet differing demands.
• Works regularly with a mixture of people from managers, immediate team, and third-party suppliers.
• May involve contract negotiation with third-party suppliers of agencies and freelancers and is required to performance manage them accordingly
• Must be collaborative in their approach.
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication.
• Faces a regular mixture of routine and non-routine problems in the role.
• Acts with resilience and is calm under pressure.
• Must be a proactive problem solver.
Celebrating diversity is at the heart of Channel 4's purpose both on-screen and off-screen. Being different is therefore at our core - and we know that recruiting talent from diverse backgrounds encourages our workforce to be vibrant, creative and think differently. Our goal is also to be truly reflective of the makeup of society and we actively recruit from groups that are under-represented in the media sector. So we welcome difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We have won awards from Stonewall for our work on screen and in the workplace, we are a member of the Business Disability Forum, and we are signed up as a Disability Confident employer with the Department of Work & Pensions. Channel 4 also won the company National Diversity Award - 2016. At the end of 2016 Channel 4 was awarded the National Equality Standard by EY, the only company ever to be placed at the highest level 'Institutionlised Inclusion'.
We understand that disabled people might have concerns about being discriminated against if they declare their disability when applying for a job. If that's you then don't worry - we will judge you on your abilities and fit against the job description. We are happy to discuss with you any adjustments you need to give you a level playing field during recruitment and then, if you're made an offer, we can then discuss with you the adjustments you might need to get on with the job and develop your career. Furthermore we can offer a guaranteed interview to any disabled applicant who meets the essential skills or experience listed above.
Let us know what kind of work you're passionate about and we'll notify you when matching career opportunities become available.Sign up