Senior Legal and Business Affairs Manager, Non-scripted (London)
This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
|Location||Channel 4, 124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2TX|
|Hours||37 per week|
|Closing Date||10 November 2019 at Midnight|
Job Title: Senior Legal and Business Affairs Manager (Non-scripted)
Reports to: Head of Legal & Business Affairs (London)
Department: Business Affairs, Commercial Affairs Location: London
Commercial Affairs is responsible for the financial, legal and business aspects of Channel 4’s content supply, and is tasked with negotiating all contractual, financial
and other deal terms between Channel 4 and content suppliers.
To provide legal and business affairs support to Commissioning work in non-scripted genres across Channel 4 (current genre focus on Entertainment, Live Events and
• Providing leadership and legal & business support to linear and online commissioning teams including advising on and being involved in negotiating and concluding
commissioning, licence, pre-purchase, development, option, talent, online, digital and cross-platform agreements and terms and conditions, competitions and RFPs on behalf
• Drafting, negotiating and concluding agreements relating to the commission and acquisition of programmes/content for the Channel 4 portfolio and platforms,
including negotiating third party contractual terms including format agreements and underlying rights’ acquisition agreements;
• Knowledge of Equity, WGGB and Pact agreements;
• Advising on the commercial implications of all contractual provisions including third party exploitation and holdback provisions prior to and during C4 licence
• Reviewing and analysing contractual provisions on a regular basis to ensure that they reflect current practice update and maintaining standard contract/licence/
legal agreement templates;
• Advising generally on legal and commercial matters and preparing all required paperwork for internal finance/legal meetings;
• As required, to assist the Lawyer/Business Affairs Manager in the provision of legal and business affairs support in connection with the commissioning and
acquisition of programming/content and related services across all Channel 4 platforms;
• Management responsibilities for Legal& Business Affairs Manager
• As required, handle legal, business and contractual matters (including chain of title, underlying rights and clearance issues) in the relevant business areas, as
well as helping implement department and channel wide projects and initiatives;
• To liaise with individuals within other Channel 4 departments to ensure communication of and compliance with all agreed rights/content restrictions/scheduling and
other issues arising from the licence agreements and other legal documents with suppliers;
• To assist in the effective management of all key rights information relating to the exploitation of programming/content on the Channel 4 services;
• To ensure that all financial aspects relating to the commissioning and licensing of programmes/content are complete and accurate (including payment of supplier
invoices) and that all relevant documents are submitted as required
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Technical & Professional Skills
• Qualified commercial lawyer preferably with extensive in house relevant legal and business experience in the media/entertainment environment.
• Good understanding of copyright licensing and law as it applies to media/entertainment businesses and awareness of digital technology and developments.
• Good experience of drafting and negotiating contracts and be familiar with issues that can arise around rights and licence in programming/content agreements.
• Will require exceptional level of attention to detail and strong general administration, communication and organisation skills.
• Excellent negotiation skills
• Confident and able to negotiate a contract all the way to execution stage making decisions on appropriate action and must be able to judge when to escalate to
• Ability to advise on legal and rights issues and will have autonomy over those decisions.
• Line manage the Legal & Business Affairs Manager
• Strong interpersonal skills are essential (must be a team player)
• Must work with a variety of internal and external relationships, must be able to work collaboratively in a diverse team environment
• Must be able to demonstrate an ability to explain and interpret complex information within peer group, own team and across departments so that there is a common
level of understanding
• Potentially handles conflicting viewpoints and gains consensus in order to balance the wishes of Channel 4 with those of the third parties
• Problems can be difficult and diverse which can affect multiple departments relating to complex legal rights and contracts. Will require resilience, tenacity and
a creative and flexible approach.
Business Impact/Strategic Perspective
• Evidence of an ability to keep up to date with developments in the relevant legal and regulatory frameworks
• A good general awareness of the major trends in commissioning, technology, acquisitions and distribution.
Celebrating diversity is at the heart of Channel 4's purpose both on-screen and off-screen. Being different is therefore at our core - and we know that recruiting talent from diverse backgrounds encourages our workforce to be vibrant, creative and think differently. Our goal is also to be truly reflective of the makeup of society and we actively recruit from groups that are under-represented in the media sector. So we welcome difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We have won awards from Stonewall for our work on screen and in the workplace, we are a member of the Business Disability Forum, and we are signed up as a Disability Confident employer with the Department of Work & Pensions. Channel 4 also won the company National Diversity Award - 2016. At the end of 2016 Channel 4 was awarded the National Equality Standard by EY, the only company ever to be placed at the highest level 'Institutionlised Inclusion'.
We understand that disabled people might have concerns about being discriminated against if they declare their disability when applying for a job. If that's you then don't worry - we will judge you on your abilities and fit against the job description. We are happy to discuss with you any adjustments you need to give you a level playing field during recruitment and then, if you're made an offer, we can then discuss with you the adjustments you might need to get on with the job and develop your career. Furthermore we can offer a guaranteed interview to any disabled applicant who meets the essential skills or experience listed above.
Let us know what kind of work you're passionate about and we'll notify you when matching career opportunities become available.Sign up