Multiplatform Designer, DCU (Leeds)
This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
|Location||National HQ - Leeds City Centre|
|Hours||37 per week|
|Closing Date||10 June 2020 at Midnight|
Job Title: Multiplatform Designer
Department: DCU (Leeds)
Reports To: Senior Creative Producer
The newly created Digital Creative Unit (DCU) will be the engine room for C4’s digital acceleration strategy, with the primary mission to create, adapt and distribute
content across the key social media channels.
The primary activities of the DCU will be to curate (existing) and create (new) short-form content and distribute it through actively managed social media channels. The
DCU will work very closely with key people and departments within C4, including the Head of Digital Commissioning.
The DCU will be based in C4’s new National HQ in Leeds and will be a key component of C4’s regional strategy, creating creative job opportunities outside London and
expanding the diversity of the company’s creative contribution.
In order to generate the world class social media content that is needed to make Channel 4 Corporation the market leader in digital presence and innovation, we need a
world class creative and content team. The successful applicant will be a core part of that team.
We’re looking for an exceptional individual with enthusiasm and fresh ideas in equal measure. Working alongside a dedicated team of digital creatives, producers and editors,
you and your team will help execute briefs from the Marketing Department’s Social Media team, as well as responding to Branded Content briefs from our Commercial team.
You’ll be suggesting proactive ideas that build awareness and affinity for Channel 4’s channels and programmes through established and emerging social media platforms.
The Multiplatform Designer will work across a broad range of projects, including digital design and content creation, and so requires a passion to create content for social,
as they’ll be immersed in creating graphics for a diverse array of video and picture content to drive engagement and views on multiple platforms. They’ll need to deliver
projects on time and to brief, working closely with the Senior Creative Producer to execute projects with varying scope and resource.
This role is based in the Leeds office and the job holder will be required to liaise with the broad team on any given project including the Marketing team as well as with all
Channel 4 departments, to ensure as coherent an approach as possible.
• You’ll serve as the beating heart of our digital production team, working with the Digital Producers to create and deliver assets and GFX to support our linear programming.
• You’ll have experience working for a digital media company, in social or digital creative/production – and will be capable of generating ideas
that help our digital and social content truly stand out from the crowd.
• You will be able to understand briefs and the need to deliver brilliant campaign responses that deliver pre-agreed objectives, and juggle a wide variety of projects
with timelines from the immediate to long-term.
• You’ll be adept at creating dynamic and engaging creative campaigns, ideally with a background working within TV programming.
• You’ll have experience with development of still and motion design templates to help facilitate content creation.
• You’ll ideally also have experience creating content to meet Commercial briefs.
• Yes it’s a cliché, but you’re a ‘social native’ and you know the difference between a hit and a miss, even at the idea stage. You’ll know your Tik Toks from your
Tumblrs, understand behaviours of audiences online, and how visual identities shift across platforms.
• We want to be seen as a cutting-edge brand. You must be abreast of developments in the world of social media and what the implications might be for us.
• Even though you’ve obviously won a load of awards, you’ll be motivated by performance rather than trophies.
• Channel 4’s remit-fulfilling programmes will make up the bulk of your viewing – everything from Gogglebox to Dispatches via Hollyoaks and Derry Girls.
• As well as coming up with the ideas, you’ll be able to follow them through to delivery.
• You will need to be tonally versatile as your team will be making content for Channel 4, E4 and All 4 social accounts.
• Occasionally, you’ll need to make content for distribution by our on-screen talent, since they’re often our biggest influencers, so you’ll need the ability to remain
calm in the presence of your favourite telly person.
• Our target audience are a diverse bunch and Channel 4 exists to promote diversity. You will need to be empathetic towards this diverse bunch and be able to interact
with them in ways that feel natural to them – and most importantly, help produce packages to ensure their stories are being told as truthfully as possible.
• You will need to be curious and a voracious consumer of culture. We want to be a cutting edge, innovative and relevant brand, not a dads’ disco littered with old, dead memes.
• You will be required to manage the sometimes competing demands of key stakeholders. Cool under pressure and excellent powers of persuasion are required.
• You will need to have a good working relationship with Legal & Compliance. They are there to make sure we stay the right side of the line rather than to clip your
wings. Channel 4 was Born Risky.
• You won’t be responsible for reporting, but you should still be interested in results and be able to find out what’s done well and what hasn’t – this information
should inform your future work.
• You’ll work in our Leeds HQ as part of the DCU, and in partnership with multiple other stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Technical & Professional Skills
• Should have an outstanding portfolio of digital design, with experience producing content for varying social platforms.
• Proven experience working for a digital media company, in social or digital creative/production, with experience of generating ideas for digital and social content.
• Must have some knowledge of all areas of online marketing and content creation.
• Must be socially native, with a strong understanding of what content audiences engage with online applying this knowledge to campaigns.
• Should have strong experience in producing creative projects in order to meet the creative brief.
• Important for the job holder to keep up to date with creative and digital / social media trends and have a passion for cutting edge creative and innovation.
• Must have a thorough understanding of processes, workflows, tools and methodologies.
• Should be a quick learner and curious about new technologies and solutions.
• Would ideally have an understanding of post-production processes including delivering assets to a variety of technical specifications.
• Experience of using productivity tools such as Monday or Trello is preferred.
• Some experience and knowledge of usability and interaction design, HTML and cSS is preferred.
• Should be confident in making creative decisions.
• Works on broad variety of matters within the content spectrum, and will sometimes be required to produce an online campaign with limited time, talent and budget.
• Must be highly organised.
• Ability to negotiate with and manage local resource (production companies, video editors, motion graphics artists, designers, production assistants etc.) when required.
• Will manage digital production workflows.
• Must establish a close working relationship with Channel 4’s on-line / digital departments and suppliers, and be able to communicate with differing departments to meet differing demands.
• Must be willing to travel between Leeds to London as and when required.
• Works regularly with a mixture of people from managers, immediate team, and third party suppliers.
• May involve contract negotiation with 3rd party suppliers of agencies and freelancers and is required to performance manage them accordingly.
• Must be collaborative in their approach.
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication.
• Faces a regular mixture of routine and non-routine problems in the role.
• Should be resilient and calm under pressure.
• Must be a proactive problem solver.
Celebrating diversity is at the heart of Channel 4's purpose both on-screen and off-screen. Being different is therefore at our core - and we know that recruiting talent from diverse backgrounds encourages our workforce to be vibrant, creative and think differently. Our goal is also to be truly reflective of the makeup of society and we actively recruit from groups that are under-represented in the media sector. So we welcome difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We have won awards from Stonewall for our work on screen and in the workplace, we are a member of the Business Disability Forum, and we are signed up as a Disability Confident employer with the Department of Work & Pensions. Channel 4 also won the company National Diversity Award - 2016. At the end of 2016 Channel 4 was awarded the National Equality Standard by EY, the only company ever to be placed at the highest level 'Institutionlised Inclusion'.
We understand that disabled people might have concerns about being discriminated against if they declare their disability when applying for a job. If that's you then don't worry - we will judge you on your abilities and fit against the job description. We are happy to discuss with you any adjustments you need to give you a level playing field during recruitment and then, if you're made an offer, we can then discuss with you the adjustments you might need to get on with the job and develop your career. Furthermore we can offer a guaranteed interview to any disabled applicant who meets the essential skills or experience listed above.
Let us know what kind of work you're passionate about and we'll notify you when matching career opportunities become available.Sign up